User Experience Design Portfolio of Martina Pérez
gif14.gif

Revenue Report

Increasing the number of users who complete the Setup

gif01.gif

Overview

Multi-country web internal platform that allows users to create segments of audience in order to target people based on different targeting criteria across markets.

 
gif02.gif

Challenge

Project managers, Country owners and Senior Managers need a way to help them evaluate the performance of markets across countries so as to make data-informed decisions about how to prioritise further developments.

I was in charge of this project and acted as facilitator to understand the problem, plan user research, design early concepts and conduct user testing. I worked together with the product managers on defining the best approach and prioritising features to handoff to development in an agile methodology.

 
 
gif05.gif

Approach

As the only thing we knew was the business requirement, but we actually didn't know much more about the specific details users needed in the platform, I proposed to approach this challenge helping us with the design thinking methodology.

First, I run a workshop with the two PMs. We follow the process of the design thinking methodology, diverge, converge, define and test. To diverge, we built an affinity map to help us visualise the problem, tame complexity, identify themes, connections between them and create hierarchies.

 
 
gif11.gif

Early concept definition

To diverge, we generated as many sketches as possible in order to visuale how each of us see it and discuss aloud each of the proposals.

Along with the sketches in paper, we wrote down every question we came up with.

 
gif12.gif

User research: Questionnaire

As the users are distributed and the offices are in Oslo, Stockholm, Barcelona, Paris… we decided to send the questionnaire online. I prepared a questionnaire to answer the unknowns and validate our hypothesis, also to know the naming. We also prepared a second questionnaire focus on finding out the user needs for the selection of time period on the revenue report as it might change the scope of the project depending on their needs.

 
 
 
 
gif08.gif

Outcome

As there was no Revenue report before, it was a great achievement for the team as we allow managers to check performance and get metrics facilitating a data driven decision making and saving potentially (I have no data of this) lot of money by avoiding putting effort in no profitable features.

 

Takeaways

  • The developers gave a lot of feedback about the designs which was really good, but the user testing was already done and the deadline was so close that I had no time to test the developers’ improvements with users. I think is best to include the developers at the very beginning in the process to be able to design something feasible at first and then test with users.

  • It would have been much better if we were able to get some stakeholders participating on the design thinking session. We could have save time by answering the unknowns at first and we would have been able to make decisions quicker and reducing the user research needed.

  • Validate assumptions and hypothesis before starting the designs to design something really valuable

  • Answer unknowns before starting the designs to boost efficiency.

  • Do user testing to find usability errors, measure the easiness of use and clean up the interface by finding options not needed.